Website/Webserver Support

BeeChat Network Forums BeeChat Network Discussion Website/Webserver Support

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    3iWEvuKEag
    Keymaster

The user’s dongle already acts as a repeater. The default configuration for any XBee module is to act as the coordinator, or in XCTU settings “Form network”. There can only be one coordinator per network and channel. Of course, there can be two networks on the same channel separated geographically and with also separate coordinators because they are not within reach of each other. Other XBee devices will act as Routers or “Join network” in XCTU, which means they are effectively repeaters but can also send and receive information.

Above is an example of a simple ZigBee network.

I do agree with securing funding for development in order to make this widespread, but to do that we need to be more than a single developer. Hopefully you want to join and become part of the team, and if we could grow it even more, that would be great. Do you have some ideas on how to grow the dev team?

I also tried spreading the word on as many places as I could (/g/, /pol/, lainchan, reddit ham and ama subreddits), which did get somewhere, or else this forum would be empty. But if you can help me in further spreading this, I am sure you can do it even better since you are less biased than me about how great BeeChat is 🙂
    Regarding the YouTube channel, what kind of videos would be good to post on there in your opinion?

#577 Reply
    Robert

Sorry, I didn’t know that. I’ll understand the technical side better once my Bee dongles arrive (around May 5th) and I can start working on BeeChat myself.

Of course I’m interested in being part of the team, I’m very interested in the potential of BeeChat, I think it is something very important to give people the option of having in the 21st century. As far as growing the team, I think media pages would be a good start. Twitter, Instagram, reddit, Facebook, YouTube. Instagram and Twitter especially, there are lots of active tech-related pages that could share our posts and grow the awareness of BeeChat. I’m happy to help set up and manage the pages if you’re too busy.

On YouTube, I think videos describing the concept of BeeChat, what it is, simple set-up tutorials, giving use-case examples of why it’s important and the types of people it can help. Of course, this content will be easier to create once we have something significant to show (like the ideas we’ve been discussing).

#578 Reply
    3iWEvuKEag
    Keymaster

Great to hear. Growing the team is vital to making BeeChat have a large impact. I’m not a great programmer, but I have a vision, the more people we are in the team the better.

In relation to social media, so far we have:
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/BeechatN
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpkkP4lfeiD-UR6qxVQW3Dg
    Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/beechatadmin
    I agree with using Instagram and Facebook as well. I’m sure we can find creative ways to spread the word on chans as well, where there are tons of devs that would be interested.

I’m more than willing on making you a mod/admin but would like to get to know you first, it would be good to have a chat about this over voice call. Feel free to send me a message on TOX, here is my tox ID:
    6396D9BD34786DC8319B2012141A26966A725A41C9E4D07BF77F53CDCC670B5754EE4F5E9100

https://qtox.github.io/ (download link in case you don’t have tox)

#775 Reply
    RobertAnnes

Please update your spam filters

#792 Reply
    DC

I was an admin for a dial up ISP a generation ago and have been out of IT for well over 16 years. BS CSC and MSCE. The idea of a decentralized mesh network has intrigued me for decades. I had always thought of using existing wifi but the question was how to get adoption and who would be the unlucky altruistic being that kept his internet through the ISP that his neighbors would sponge off of.

When comcast charges $73/month the idea of a buy it once device is very appealing. Imagine a free or nearly free “internet” I would love to be an early adopter of the tech. There are a few issues however that come to my mind that I am sure you have pondered:

1.) Obviously you could not replace the internet overnight and there would need to be some sort of interchange.
    2.) In your development notes I do not see listed the goal …even if years away..of rivaling or replacing the internet.
    3.) the current dongle has a speed of 250Kbs..I think for widespread adoption a speed that allows for netflix style streaming would need to be achieved ( I had clearwire a while back before sprint closed them for the frequencies.) Dont know if you have the resources or contacts for such a redesign.
    4.) If an internet interchange becomes possible a problem will arise in that many adopters will cancel their internet and use another users interface to get free internet …comcast has a 1TB/mo limit on my tier.
    5.) how would you get large enough to change the industry that they adopt your transport protocol as a rival to the internet before issue 4.) becomes a barrier to growth?
    6.) you might need new hardware to “trick” old IP devices into using a new beechat supported router. One that bridges beechat with a homes class c ip addresses.
    7.) then there is the issue of finding replacements for DNS, email etc and who manages those or is there a way to decentralize that using blockchain and p2p?
    8.) VPN?

My vision ,not necessarily yours, would be a mesh network where my rokuTV device streams netflix , hoopla, plutoTV and various cheap or free content to my TV while I browse all the various sites I have come to love over a free connection. (comcast @ almost 1K a year is not cheap to most middle class workers.) Imagine a country or world where I and my neighbors and millions have this device in their homes . No censorship, decentralized ,secure, p2p, robust and independent of rent-seekers like comcast and AT&T. To achieve this will require overcoming 30 years of internet evolution. If you solve these puzzles you will make Bezos look like a pauper.

Good luck and let me know if any of this is at all, also in your vision? One other thing, it might be helpful to know if there are others in an area already using the system before they buy.

Thanks,
    DC

#793 Reply
    Gandalf

Good luck and let me know if any of this is at all, also in your vision? One other thing, it might be helpful to know if there are others in an area already using the system before they buy.

Setting it up in a public place like a library would both make use of the existing WiFi network and serve as the light source attracting all Bee(Chat)s.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Website/Webserver Support
Your information: